US President Trump warned Sunday that “massive disruption” would be a result of a “bad deal” if the US does not negotiate a deal with Iran and its leaders.
“I can’t negotiate a bad deal,” Trump said in a radio interview with the National Public Radio (NPR).
“I will not negotiate.
And, by the way, I will tell you, if you want to talk about Iran, you can talk about Syria, you’ll talk about North Korea.
You can talk.
You have nothing to say to Iran.”
The remarks, made in a taped conversation with the public radio program, come as US officials prepare to release the draft nuclear agreement between Iran and the P5+1 powers (the US, Britain, France, Russia and China) and Trump is expected to sign it on Wednesday.
On Friday, Iran said it was prepared to hold talks with Washington, Washington, New York and other world powers, which have not yet reached a deal.
Trump, who was in the United States for two days of official business on Friday, said he was “firmly” committed to getting a deal to end the decades-long US sanctions on Iran, but he stressed that he had not made any final decisions about a future deal.
“It’s not my decision.
I don’t have a final decision,” he said.”
And I’ll make it, and I’ll see how it works out.”
Iran has said it would be ready to talk to any of the world powers but not the US, and it has said that any talks with the US would only be for a transitional period, rather than the final deal.
Earlier this month, Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif told reporters that Tehran was ready to discuss the nuclear deal with the P6+1 group of nations, which includes the US and Russia.
In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Zarif said that the P7+1, a group of Western powers, were looking to conclude a deal soon and would “not allow for any delay”.
“They want to be in a hurry, they want to go quickly, and they don’t want to let us get away from this process,” Zarif, who has been in a dispute with the Obama administration over Tehran’s nuclear programme, said.
Earlier on Saturday, Trump met with Iranian Foreign Ministry Director General Abbas Araqchi at the White House, where they discussed the draft deal and the status of Iran’s ballistic missile programme.
Earlier in the day, Zarmin told reporters at the UN General Assembly that Washington and Moscow should be ready for any talks that take place and that any “bad decision” would “send a signal of defeat” to the international community.
Trump has been under pressure to reach a deal after weeks of US and Israeli pressure to pull out of the deal that would have halted Iran’s nuclear enrichment programme.
The president’s chief strategist, Stephen Bannon, said on Sunday that Trump would not be satisfied until “every single country” that has violated the nuclear agreement is removed from the pact.
“We are not going to settle for anything less than the total removal of Iran from the nuclear club,” he told NBC’s Meet the Press.
“As long as there is any question, we are going to get rid of every country that has done anything that is wrong, that has broken the agreement.”
The nuclear deal, reached in 2015 and worth $1.7 trillion over 20 years, is aimed at curbing Tehran’s ability to produce nuclear weapons, but it was blocked in Congress by Trump and other Republicans in the US Congress, who were unhappy with a key provision that said Iran would be prohibited from developing a nuclear weapon.
The agreement is based on a framework agreed by Iran, the US , Britain, China, France and Germany, which will come into force in March 2019.